IKEA Hack: Floating Credenza

The pieces I purchased are linked below:

Image source: IKEA Canada

Image source: IKEA Canada

Image source: IKEA Canada

Image source: IKEA Canada

You can choose from a variety of doors, but I opted for the matching white ones.

The next step was choosing a wood top. The piece is pretty long and since it is oddly shaped, it was hard to find one piece of wood that would fit properly. I had frequented Home Depot several times trying to decide what I should get - two separate pieces? One crappy piece of plywood? (as I have seen on other blogs - which look AMAZING), but the plywood I was seeing was not in good shape. 

I finally found a PERFECT piece of birch plywood at Home Depot (birch is supposed to be the best quality). The 4 x 8 foot sheet was 1/2 price at only $30 and it was in perfect condition! Home Depot will make cuts for you for FREE, but they couldn't make the 'Tetris' like shape I needed, so I had them cut the sheet down in order to fit it in my car. I ended up with the piece below:

Step three was taking the proper measurements of the wall unit. Keep in mind that you need to include the depth of the doors and not only the actual shelving pieces that are attached to the wall! This took a couple of tries, as every time I measured I got different numbers.....really annoying! My dad (who helped me with this whole project and who is an engineer) refused to make any cuts until he could come over and properly measure! To speed things up I measured every edge and took pictures with the measuring tape so he could read them himself.....

We traced out the piece we wanted and used a regular jigsaw to make the cuts. We cut a bit off of the traced line to ensure it would be too large instead of too small and that worked perfectly for us. We also cut pieces for the sides of the credenza because I wanted to create a 'waterfall' look.

Now here is where I may have gone wrong. Since I was working on this project at my parents house, I decided to stain the piece BEFORE bringing it to our condo. I did one coat of Minwax's Ebony followed by two coats of polyurethane. Since the piece is plywood, the edges are complete crap and hideous - which I knew from the beginning so I purchased a wood veneer trim from Home Depot (found here) that you apply yourself. Make sure to get the same type of wood if you can (luckily they had a birch trim). I thought this trim would be a nightmare to apply, but it was actually pretty easy AND I did it at the end (which I do not recommend) as it was a lot more difficult.

Below is the stained piece without the wood edging........

The main reason why I left the veneer edge until the end was because I needed to make sure the wood top fit perfectly on top of the IKEA piece. It was slightly off in some areas, so I sanded it down best I could. I then applied the veneer edge to the plywood. It is pre-glued, so all you have to do is iron it on the plywood. Below are the steps (I forgot to take pictures.....sorry!).

1) Cut a slightly larger piece than you need for one edge.

2) Iron the edge trim slowly and press down on the edge to make sure the entire edge is glued. Use the hottest setting on the iron.

3) Wait until the edge is no longer hot and the glue has more or less dried (only a few minutes) then trim the excess. I used an X-ACTO knife to trim off the excess edging from both the top and bottom. Chances are the edging tape is larger than the actual edge you are trying to cover. An X-ACTO knife worked great (I bought the special edging tool from Home Depot but ended up returning it because I didn't need it). It is really easy to get a somewhat straight edge, but don't worry if it looks uneven because when you apply the stain you won't see any imperfections. I SWEAR!

5) Last step was staining. This is where I went wrong! I do NOT recommend staining the edge at the end. Technically you should cut the wood, add the edge, and stain the entire piece at once. I did not and ended up using the smallest water colour brush imaginable to stain the entire 3/4 inch trim so that I didn't get any stain on the white.....uhhhh. To fill the crease between the trim and the already stained piece, I applied a bit of stain and just used my fingers to fill it in.....it worked, but you can also get a Minwax stain pen to fill in any hard to reach areas where the stain didn't cover.

Finally, I knew I wanted to have brushed brass knobs and picked up these from Target this summer. They are from the Threshold collection and are priced at about $5 per knob which is amazing!

 
 

Here is the final result! It ended up taking a lot longer than I thought, but it was still relatively easy and I am happy with the final product! The top just sits on the IKEA shelves and is not glued or nailed, while the plywood sides are actually drilled into the IKEA pieces from the inside out (just make sure you use screws that are long enough to go through the IKEA shelve and the plywood, but not too long that it pierces the plywood). We had to drill holes in the wood top and top of the middle IKEA piece for the TV cords. We also had to drill a hole in the back of the middle BESTA piece for the wall socket. 

*The hockey painting was the only item in our entire condo that the BF had any say in. Since it was painted by his mom, I allowed him to hang it in the second bedroom, which also known as the "man cave" :)

*The hockey painting was the only item in our entire condo that the BF had any say in. Since it was painted by his mom, I allowed him to hang it in the second bedroom, which also known as the "man cave" :)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
DIY, IKEA, IKEA HackKelly Boyd